Decisions have been made; the die is cast. Now almost two years past the presidential election, the fruit of the new administration have begun to ripen and we can now begin to see who and what we have become. The following list is my rendition of the new America, given the decisions we’ve made and the new laws we’ve put in place:
1. The government is now free to discriminate on the basis of religion and ethic origin.
2. Corporate America and big business is free to injure or defraud consumers without fear of lawsuits or prosecution from the state or state agencies.
3. It is permissible for big business and the wealthy to literally buy the government to work on their behalf through limitless financial contribution. In other words, corruption is officially government sanctioned.
4. All of the institutions put in place to protect the average citizen’s health through clean air, water and food supply have been defunded and rendered completely useless.
5. All the institutions put in place to insure that employers cannot abuse the labor force are being defunded and eventually phased out.
6. We are firmly on the path to only the wealthiest Americans being able to afford quality healthcare, much the same as it was in the 19th century.
7. Women are on their way to being divested of their basic human rights and their wombs will soon become property of the state.
8. The courts are being packed with people beholding to the president, effectively placing him above the law.
9. The laws put in place to prevent the banking industry from recklessly risking the savings of the average American are being rescinded.
10. Corporations are free to form monopolies as they did early in the industrial revolution.
11. Gerrymandering has been taken to such an extreme that currently, somewhere between 60 and 70 percent of the electorate have been effectively disenfranchised.
There are more things that could be added to the list, but the things I have listed here are enough to lead me to one conclusion. America has decided to become a fascist dictatorship. We are at a time in this process that the average American believes anyone who says such a thing is seriously over reacting or is using the term as political rhetoric against the current administration and congress. I thought that too until I went back and looked at some of my old history books from the 1960s. If you go back and look at the evolution of Adolf Hitler, the Nazi Party and the Third Reich, you begin to understand that fascist dictatorships don’t happen from a radical explosion of events. Most of us think that’s the way it happens because when we think of Hitler and the Nazis, we think of what happened after the Nazi takeover. The fact is that in Germany, the Nazi rise to power was almost 20 years in the making. Far from being explosions, fascist takeovers are more like slow moving trains that you can barely see a mile before they reach the station, but get larger and larger until once the behemoth reaches the station, it crushes and liquefies everything on the tract.
Here’s a recap of how the Nazis did what they did. They began at a time immediately after World War I when Germany was bankrupt and the German people were demoralized and very unhappy with the deal the government made with the western powers led by Brittan and the United States. The Nazis exploited the populous unhappiness instigating campaigns critical of the government and its institutions. They also scapegoated the Jewish population as contributory to the weakening of German commerce. They attacked the press and anyone who disagreed with them, threatening them with violence or financial ruin. Eventually they began to be elected to various positions in the government, all the while whipping up nationalist fervor, causing their followers to be more embolden to commit acts of violence against any opposition and against the Jewish minority. Finally, Hitler was elected and immediately began building up the military in defiance of the World War I accord and the League of Nations. He began to claim any news critical of his leadership was unpatriotic and what we refer to today as fake news, and intimidated or in someway liquidated those who persisted in their criticism. Once he had full control of the government, the things we currently associate with the Nazis began to happen. Those in opposition of him began to quietly at first, disappear or fade into silence. All the perceived enemies of the Reich were systematically destroyed, beginning with the Jews. I don’t have to tell you the rest.
If you don’t see the similarity to the above synopsis and current events in this country, you haven’t been paying attention or have decided to turn a blind eye to the reality. Part of why Hitler was able to pull it off, was that people tend to take the path of least resistance. We don’t want to face up to the horror that stares us in the face. It’s so much easier to rationalize away things that you know are wrong, by consoling yourself with ideas like, “Oh the system will keep Trump from getting too far out of hand”, or “I know some of the things he says and does are over the top, but he is succeeding in making the practical changes that needed to be made.” Every such rationalization is another nail in democracy’s coffin. Our beloved country is headed for a terrible cataclysm if we don’t soon wake up as nation. The latest poll I heard that scared the hell out of me, reported that 40% of Americans believe we are headed for civil war! Doesn’t that set alarm bells of in your head?
The only way we can avert a tragic end to our democracy is to vote all current Republican elected officials out of office in state, local and federal elections of 2018. That way, everyone left will get back to representing the best interests of the people. At this point, it is the only way to stop the fascist train from pulling into the station and destroying everything in its path.